Bursaries offered by accountancy firms
Below is a list of accountancy bursaries currently available in Guernsey. However, most firms will consider offering something to a keen student such as work experience or shadowing.
As a Bursary Trainee, following completing your a-Levels, you would work at BDO for a year before going to University to successfully complete your degree and then returning to BDO. On return to BDO you will commence studying for a professional accounting qualification (ACCA or ACA) over a 3-4 year period during which time you will be supported, developed and supervised by senior members of the team. BDO will contribute £2,000 per annum over a three-year degree course. Requirements are 3 A levels at grades A*- C (excluding general studies and extended projects), received A* - C at GCSE in maths & english language, hold a deferred offer on a university degree course and commit to 5 weeks per annum paid work experience during the degree course.
Deloitte Industrial Placements
Making a choice about your career feels like a big decision, right? What’s a true fit for you? How do you channel your curiosity and passion in a way that makes an impact? In a place where you can be yourself? Find out what a career in Professional Services is really like with our industrial placement.
As well as unrivalled business experience, and a competitive salary, you’ll gain a great insight into what it’s like to work at Deloitte. And you could even secure a place on our graduate programme, to take up after university.
Over six to twelve months, you’ll be trained with – and work alongside – our first year graduate intake. You’ll get your teeth into some complex business problems, gain insights into major sectors and experience of whole industries.
Who can apply for an Industrial Placement?
You will need to be studying towards at least a 2:1 in any degree discipline at a UK university, and you will complete the Industrial Placement in your penultimate year of university. You will need at least 260 UCAS points for your A levels (or equivalent), achieved at least a grade 4 (C) in English language and at least a grade 5 (B) in Maths in your GCSEs (or equivalent).
Deloitte also has a range of exciting graduate, undergraduate and apprenticeship opportunities available. For further details please visit our website or telephone 01481 703285.Visit website
Intertrust Guernsey Graduate Bursary Scheme is offered in the form of an interest free loan of £1,500 per academic year of intended studies at University, payable in equal instalments on 1 September.
The Bursary is offered to students on the following understanding:
- They already hold Mathematics and English Language qualification equivalent to at least Grade B GCSE level.
- They successfully complete A level examinations and obtain a minimum of 240 UCAS points.
- They successfully complete their chosen University degree course in the United Kingdom. During their time at University they will be offered vacation work at the then current salary offered to vacation students and will be available for a minimum of 5 weeks’ vacation work at dates to be arranged in advance.
- Upon completion of their chosen University degree course, they must be residentially qualified in their own right to live in Guernsey and be available and eligible for employment (at the Company’s discretion) by Intertrust Guernsey for a minimum of 3 years’ under a standard training contract to train for a relevant professional qualification. Please note that although we cannot guarantee the offer of a training contract, it will only be in exceptional circumstances that we would not opt to take bursary students on as trainees.
- For the duration of their training contract they will be paid at the then current salary level applicable to graduate trainees, adjusted to be commensurate with their previous experience with us prior to attending University.
Repayment of the Bursary loan will be waived as to one third on 30 June in each of the 3 years of their University course. If for any reason students do not commence or complete their 3 year training contract then in these circumstances, but in no other circumstances, the Company reserves the right to request repayment of the Bursary loan to the extent that it has not already been waived.
Lucy McKenzie, HR Specialist
KPMG in the Channel Islands offer ‘sandwich placements’ for students completing a degree in any discipline who is interested in working in accountancy.
Students will begin their professional qualifications and work full time with their peer group. A fantastic opportunity to get a kick start in your career and have job security for when you leave university.
Applicants must have 300 UCAS points or over and Grade B or above in GCSE English and Mathematics.