Bursaries offered by accountancy firms
Below is a list of accountancy bursaries currently available in Guernsey. However, most firms will consider offering something to a keen student such as work experience or shadowing.
As a Bursary Trainee, following completing your a-Levels, you would work at BDO for a year before going to University to successfully complete your degree and then returning to BDO. On return to BDO you will commence studying for a professional accounting qualification (ACCA or ACA) over a 3-4 year period during which time you will be supported, developed and supervised by senior members of the team. BDO will contribute £2,000 per annum over a three-year degree course. Requirements are 3 A levels at grades A*- C (excluding general studies and extended projects), received A* - C at GCSE in maths & english language, hold a deferred offer on a university degree course and commit to 5 weeks per annum paid work experience during the degree course.
Deloitte Scholar Scheme – Including Gap Year Opportunity
What do you want from your gap year? A trip of a lifetime? Or experience that will kick start a long-term career? The Deloitte Scholar Scheme provides a unique opportunity to combine the two, with a 30-week paid placement, starting in August or September. And money to go travelling after.
What are the benefits?
As a gap year scholar, Deloitte will provide you with a 30-week paid placement starting in August or September and a £1,500 bursary to go travelling after the placement and before university. You will also receive a £500 annual bursary payment each academic year as well as a minimum of four weeks of additional paid placements each academic year, which can be undertaken at any UK/Channel Island office of Deloitte.
You’ll be fully involved from the start, helping out on projects, and getting as much training in as possible while you’re here. We really want you to come back throughout your degree course and after you graduate. This is your head start on a career with us. And we want it to be a realistic glimpse into an exciting future.
Who can join the Scholar Scheme?
We are looking for talented final year A-level (or equivalent) students with GCSE Maths Grade B, GCSE English Grade C and a minimum of 104 UCAS points, who are considering a gap year after school and before university. On completion of your degree, there will also be an opportunity to apply for a full time training contract.
Deloitte has a range of exciting graduate, undergraduate and apprenticeship opportunities available. For further details please visit www.deloitte.co.uk/careers or telephone 01481 703285Visit website
Intertrust Guernsey Graduate Bursary Scheme is offered in the form of an interest free loan of £1,500 per academic year of intended studies at University, payable in equal instalments on 1 September.
The Bursary is offered to students on the following understanding:
- They already hold Mathematics and English Language qualification equivalent to at least Grade B GCSE level.
- They successfully complete A level examinations and obtain a minimum of 240 UCAS points.
- They successfully complete their chosen University degree course in the United Kingdom. During their time at University they will be offered vacation work at the then current salary offered to vacation students and will be available for a minimum of 5 weeks’ vacation work at dates to be arranged in advance.
- Upon completion of their chosen University degree course, they must be residentially qualified in their own right to live in Guernsey and be available and eligible for employment (at the Company’s discretion) by Intertrust Guernsey for a minimum of 3 years’ under a standard training contract to train for a relevant professional qualification. Please note that although we cannot guarantee the offer of a training contract, it will only be in exceptional circumstances that we would not opt to take bursary students on as trainees.
- For the duration of their training contract they will be paid at the then current salary level applicable to graduate trainees, adjusted to be commensurate with their previous experience with us prior to attending University.
Repayment of the Bursary loan will be waived as to one third on 30 June in each of the 3 years of their University course. If for any reason students do not commence or complete their 3 year training contract then in these circumstances, but in no other circumstances, the Company reserves the right to request repayment of the Bursary loan to the extent that it has not already been waived.
Lucy McKenzie, HR Specialist
KPMG in the Channel Islands offer ‘sandwich placements’ for students completing a degree in any discipline who is interested in working in accountancy.
Students will begin their professional qualifications and work full time with their peer group. A fantastic opportunity to get a kick start in your career and have job security for when you leave university.
Applicants must have 300 UCAS points or over and Grade B or above in GCSE English and Mathematics.